[asterisk-users] Load balance outgoing calls

Alejandro Recarey alexrecarey at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:59:11 CST 2010

Hello everybody.

I have a provider that has 3 asterisk boxes which I must balance my
calls against. At the moment, I route different destinations to
different boxes but this causes lots of problems.

Without resorting to OpenSER or other proxies (as my provider also
uses IAX), is there a way I can load balance outgoing channels in
Asterisk?

For example an IAX peer like:

[iax_provider]
type=peer
username=myprovider
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.10
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.11
host=xxx.xxx.xxx.12
secret=verysecret
disalow=all
allow=g729

Is there any way I can balance calls between all of the hosts in the
providers description?  In fact, if I set the dialplan like:

exten => _X.,n,Dial(IAX2/iax_provider/${EXTEN}

what IP addres will receive the call? host 10, 11 or 12?

I know DAHDI can balance outgoing calls between the E1's of the span
using DAHDI/r0/  instead of DAHDI/g0. Is there any way of doing this
for other channels?

Thanks!

Alex