[asterisk-users] Multiple instances of Asterisk on the same host...

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Mon Feb 22 12:02:01 CST 2010

Interesting thread recently about virtual servers...

I'm thinking of doing something similar - right now looking at Containers
(lxc) rather than "proper" virtualisation though, however it got me
thinking of a "poor mans virtualisation" solution...

This would assume you have a real server to start with and full root
access...

I was thinking of simply running multiple asterisks on the same box, each
with their own /etc/asterisk config directory (in e.g.
/home/v1/etc/asterisk, /home/v2/etc/asterisk and so on - obviously give
them unique /home/v1/spool/asterisk/ , etc. directories too, but for the
most part things like /var/lib/asterisk/sounds and modules can be shared.
(exception being astdb!) It just means a custom
/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf file for each instance and asterisk being
started with the correct config file - /home/v1/etc/asterisk.conf, etc.

So giving each asterisk it's own IP address (eth0:1, eth0:2, etc.) and
changing the bindaddr parameter in each one to suit multiple IP addresses
bound to the 'host' would seem to be the way to do it - each asterisk can
still use ztdummy/dhadidummy for timing if required (or does it stop
multiple asterisks opening it?)

Anyone done this or contemplated doing it?

Gordon