[asterisk-users] Virtual machine timing (KVM)

Sean Brady sbrady at gtfservices.com
Sun Feb 21 21:04:05 CST 2010

>> Sean Brady wrote:

To get MeetMe working properly, I know some sort of timing device

provided by the zaptel package is required (even if it means the

zt_dummy).  But, on a virtual machine I know that the Linux timing won't

work as expected.  Is it possible to then dedicate a physical device

like a USB port or something to the virtual machine to use for the

timing interrupts?

>>The 2.2.1 version of DAHDI using DAHDI dummy seems to be working adequately in a Xen environment on CentOS for me, although I haven't been using MeetMe.  Have you run into issues with it specifically?  Which version of DAHDI are you using?  If there are some issues that you have found I would like to know...

>> Thanks,

>> Sean

>To be honest I haven't tried it with Asterisk version 1.4 or higher.  I only tried it with 1.2 and when the DAHDI was called "Zaptel".  I have been a little >afraid to upgrade to 1.6 from 1.2 just in case there are
>some incompatibilities in my config that'll bring down the phone system here at the office for a while.

> The issue that I had was that the even the calls were choppy.  Not even specifically just the MeetMe ones.  But that was on VirtualBox.  I am using >KVM now.  I'm not sure if that matters.

> What is your timer frequency set to in the kernel btw?
With DAHDI dummy in 2.2.1 you don't have to even do that, AFAIK.  At least I didn't on my test box.
I do get choppy audio when playing recordings occasionally.  I haven't had time to figure that one out, but I haven't put it into production yet.
I have been told repeatedly that Asterisk shouldn't be virtualized, and that timing was an issue, however I have never been given a reason that I consider acceptable to preclude me from doing so.  I have also seen presentations talking about using Asterisk in Xen environments as well as Amazon's EC2 (also Xen).  So there is some real contradictions and FUD surrounding Asterisk virtualized.  Perhaps I am just stubborn, but I am determined to run Asterisk virtualized in production with conferencing (be it meetme or confbridge) until it's been proven without doubt that it just doesn't work.