[asterisk-users] Slightly OT: Has SILK codec gotten anywhere?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Feb 21 06:35:29 CST 2010

On 02/21/2010 02:02 AM, Kyle Kienapfel wrote:
> Hi, I stumbled upon mentions of a  "SILK" codec last night on skypes
> "skype for sip" information page. I tried looking into it further and
> found some blog and mailing list posts from 2009 but I can't find any
> mentions of anything other than skype using the codec. Has the codec
> not gotten anywhere so far?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SILK

Skype took an extremely long time to start getting usable code into
people's hands. It is starting to happen now, though. There seem to be
several projects with support in the pipeline. Others may find the funky
licencing a stumbling block. If the IETF codec works makes good progress
its possible SILK will open up and be more widely usable.

Steve