[asterisk-users] Virtual machine timing (KVM)

Mike A. Leonetti mleonetti at evolutionce.com
Sun Feb 21 05:56:04 CST 2010

David Backeberg wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Mike A. Leonetti
> <mleonetti at evolutionce.com> wrote:
>
>> To get MeetMe working properly, I know some sort of timing device
>> provided by the zaptel package is required (even if it means the
>> zt_dummy).  But, on a virtual machine I know that the Linux timing won't
>> work as expected.  Is it possible to then dedicate a physical device
>> like a USB port or something to the virtual machine to use for the
>> timing interrupts?
>>

> You could always use ConfBridge(), starting in 1.6.2.*, which does not
> require DAHDI/Zaptel, and therefore doesn't require a timer.
>
> Let me be the first to tell you that using a virt for a conferencing
> solution, especially if you want people to actually use it, sounds
> like a 'Bad Idea'. You could oversubscribe the resources so you don't
> starve the virt, but we already have a name or that. It's called not
> using a virt in the first place.

Well, when you're right you're right.  If it's really that much of a bad
idea I'll just put in for a real machine.  Although virtualizing seems
to be all the buzz lately so I was just wondering if I could consolidate
hardware (or continue to consolidate hardware).  Our internal Asterisk
does currently run on KVM.