[asterisk-users] CODECS: Best practice question: Avoid transcode when calling out?

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:29:50 CST 2010

What is the current best practice to avoid transcoding on an outgoing call
to a
party whose codec preference is not known in advance?

In other words, incoming calls are easy since codecs are negotiated from
least-known (the remote party) to most-known (my endpoint) and my codecs can
simply be preferred accordingly to match the remote.

Outbound calls seem harder.  Our endpoints always negotiate g.722 between
themselves and Asterisk and then Asterisk must transcode to the preferred
codec of the REMOTE party.  Not ideal.

It's easy if I'm calling to the PSTN--since I know in advance the
preferences
of my ITSP, but I'm stumped about how to avoid transcoding when calling a
party whose codec preferences are not known in advance.

Is there an elegant way to do this?

-Karl