[asterisk-users] How does holdtime get calculated for queues

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Tue Feb 16 10:39:50 CST 2010

I had a customer ask me this question today, and I was surprised to say I
didn't have an exact answer for them.  They have a relatively small support
queue for their business (three agents, and rarely more than one person in
line at any given time in the queue, if all agents are on a call),  Their
support calls can range anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes.
Occasionally, they'll get four or five calls in a short time span, and the
first three that are answered may end up being rather long.  The people in
line are listening to hold music and hearing the periodic hold announcements
and estimated wait times (you are currently caller number 2 in line, your
estimated wait time is ....).  The complaint they're receiving is that the
estimated hold time tends to jump around a bit - the example I was given was
that a caller was told when they entered the queue, they were currently
caller number 2 and the estimated hold time was less than 2 minutes.  The
caller waited upwards of 10 minutes, and then hung up when the estimated
wait time announcement told them the wait time was 8 more minutes.

This is on a queue with a 30 minute wait time (the customer specifically
asked for this for all of their queues, so that's not changing).  After the
timeout limit is reached (i.e the command is Queue(support,,,,1800)), the
dialplan jumps to voicemail.

So, how does asterisk calculate holdtime for queues?  Why would it go up the
longer a caller is in line?  Where does it determine the initial wait time,
etc?

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby