[asterisk-users] [asterisk-dev] Maximum call handling capacity on single server

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 09:59:05 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Amit Patkar | Avhan Technologies
Pvt. Ltd. <amit at avhan.com> wrote:
> I have a server with Quad Core Xeon 2.4GHz and 4GB RAM. I want to use it for
> PSTN-IP gateway. What is the maximum call handling capacity I can achieve
> with this server?

You can handle a lot of pure sip calls. You don't say anything about
the PCI / PCI-E bus on that machine, and purely speaking, nobody here
knows whether that server can even physically terminate several cards.

> I want at least 480 concurrent PSTN-IP calls. That mean I will have to
> install minimum 4 x 4E1 cards and run 480 G.711 RTP sessions. No call
> recording. No IVR. Pure gateway functionality. Can I achieve this capacity
> with given server configuration?
> If not, what kind of server is required to achieve this capacity.
>
> Has anyone done this? Please share results.

If anybody has done this, they would run into the problems the others
mentioned. If you can afford the phone bills you're going to incur
with this setup, you're also going to be able to afford at least
making 2x the capacity you really need for redundancy and business
continuity purposes.

Also, you're math is bad. If you're talking US, T1/PRI, you're only
terminating 23 channels per T1/PRI, so if you need 480 channels,
you're going to need 21 PRI's meaning 6x 4-port cards.

At which point, you should seriously consider buying a hardware
appliance like a Cisco 3845, and really you should buy two and split
the lines over those two.