[asterisk-users] Cisco 7940: showing FWD in display.

Oliver Nittka oly at nittka.com
Sun Feb 14 06:24:31 CST 2010

Hello all,

this may be slightly offtopic :-)
I have some Cisco 7940 phones with SIP firmware, connected to an
Asterisk 1.2.18-BRIstuffed-0.3.0-PRE-1y-g (HorstBox Pro with custom
extensions.conf).

On some of the phones, two lines are configured, one for business, one
for private calls.

When forwarding a line to another destination (e.g. to voicemail), we
can't use the phone's own forwarding mechanism, because it forwards all
configured lines, and so private calls would get forwarded to the
business voicemail.

We have thus configured forwarding (and DND) with database settings,
like so:

 ; DND
 exten => *91,1,Set(DB(DND/${CALLERIDNUM})=1)
 exten => *91,2,Busy()
 exten => *92,1,DBdel(DND/${CALLERIDNUM})
 exten => *92,2,Busy()

 ; FWD
 exten => *93,1,Answer()
 exten => *93,2,Read(FORW|vm-enter-num-to-call)
 exten => *93,3,SayDigits(${FORW})
 exten => *93,4,Set(DB(FWD/${CALLERIDNUM})=${FORW})
 exten => *93,5,Playback(auth-thankyou)
 exten => *93,6,Hangup()

which works phantastically (well, only DND tested so far ;-)

The only drawback: I cannot figure out how to show - in the phone's
display - the current DND or forwarding state.

What I've tried so far:

- dialplan app SendText() only works on a connected channel, AFAIK, and
I'm not sure if the 7940 with SIP firmware honours it at all.

- Deliver the logo_url with a "Refresh:" http header, so the logo gets
reloaded every minute or so (and the server would deliver a different
logo depending on the state): no success. The phone doesn't seem to
honour the Refresh (as opposed, AFAIK, to the idle screen when running a
sccp firmware)

- send a NOTIFY with sipsak. I'm not so much into the SIP protocol, no
success yet, will keep on trying, but from browsing the net I'd say this
doesn't seem to be possible.

chan_sccp2 is not an option, because I it would crash on the horstbox -
tried some different branches from SVN - well, perhaps I should look
into it again.

Any ideas?
Any hint - non matter how vague - would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
  -- o