[asterisk-users] 1.6.x SIP allow incoming calls based on from ip address?

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 09:57:26 CST 2010

Hi All,

I read some discussions about the new SIP authentication methods for
1.6.X branches and possible addition of new type of user, type=trunk.
I'm wondering about the disposition about this.  Will it be added?

In 1.2 and 1.4 branch, a SIP invite was first checked for a valid
[user] then a valid host=ip, then if not present send call to
[general]  context=incoming.

In 1.6, a SIP invite checks for valid [user] then TO:
domain=abc.com,context, then if not present [general]
context=incoming.  This is fine and I think I understand the reasoning
behind the new method.  But we have lost the ability to route calls
based on 'from' ip address.

What I'm curious about is if we will be able to configure a sip [user]
type=trunk with host=ip address based on FROM: IP Address and direct
it to a specific context.

sip.conf

[provider_1_trunk]
type=trunk