[asterisk-users] Sending "Progress" during dialing

Richard Kenner kenner at gnat.com
Wed Feb 10 18:36:49 CST 2010

The PBX that I'm connecting to Asterisk has a timeout on calls on its PRI
and QSIG lines.  But that's smaller than the time it can take some SIP
trunk providers to complete the calls, so I get hangups.

I verified that sending "Progress" every few seconds will work around the
problem.  So I'd like to see Dial do that.  I don't see any mechanism
though it appears that it's fairly easy to write one.  Is there something
I'm missing: can this be done without any code changes?  Is there any
reason why the obvious code change wouldn't work?  Is there any harm from
a specification point of view in sending multiple Progress messages?