[asterisk-users] Unable to open pid file '/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file or directory

Brian brel.astersik100129 at copperproductions.co.uk
Wed Feb 10 05:57:44 CST 2010

Since upgrading from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 I get this error on boot:
Unable to open pid file '/var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid': No such file
or directory

Or if I try to connect to Asterisk:
Unable to connect to remote asterisk
(does /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl exist?)

If I manually create /var/run/asterisk/ and restart Asterisk I can
connect to it, but if the server is rebooted /var/run/asterisk/
disappears and warning comes back.

I could doctor the init.d script to overcome this, but I'm not sure it's
the right thing to do. Can anyone explain the best way for me to get
over this?