[asterisk-users] VERY HIGH LOAD AVERAGE: top - 10:27:57 up 199 days, 5:18, 2 users, load average: 67.75, 62.55, 55.75

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 09:56:22 CST 2010

On 9 February 2010 06:42, Muro, Sam <research at businesstz.com> wrote:

> Hi Team
>
> Can someone advice me on how i can lower the load average on my asterisk
> server?
>
> dahdi-linux-2.1.0.4
> dahdi-tools-2.1.0.2
> libpri-1.4.10.1
> asterisk-1.4.25.1
>
> 2 X TE412P Digium cards on ISDN PRI
>
> Im using the system as an IVR without any transcoding or bridging
>
> **************************************
> top - 10:27:57 up 199 days,  5:18,  2 users,  load average: 67.75, 62.55,
> 55.75

Hi Sam!

Are there any side-effects from the high load average?  The system doesn't
seem to be CPU or disk bound from the look of the CPU stats.  System %age is
high by way - software echo cancellaton?, and Asterisk is using a lot of cpu
which isn't suprising.

I'm guessing you are running 8 spans and 200+ calls into your IVR?

If the system is actually performing fine then I'd just say that there is
something about the Asterisk threads that makes them look runnable and that
accounts for the high load average.  Is the IVR an agi or fastagi or what? -
the code path may have a "spinlock" logic to it that means that many threads
are runnable but when scheduled just go back to sleep.  That would account
for high load average with lots of spare CPU.  If that's what is happening
then I wouldn't worry much more about it.

Regards,
Steve

PS: Alex - why the dig about ALL CAPS?  The post wasn't in caps?