[asterisk-users] Dial script

Erik de Wild: Tripple-o info at tripple-o.nl
Sat Feb 6 15:14:42 CST 2010

Thomas,

Yes you can do this. I actually have done this and run it as a
service under the name Meetmecall.  I use MSN as the user interface to
record the message, create phone lists of the numbers that has to be
called and to actually schedule and perform  the delivery. It is
possible to use it for spam but the customers I have use it to notify,
remember, offer or let the callee know about something relevant, but
always as part of an already existing relation. With some extra
parameters used, you can start a groupcall and use all the other
Asterisk magic available like doing a questionarry using a smart IVR
etc. etc.  I can think about a long list of useful use of this service.

I have no idea about the rules and legislation in other countries but
in Holland you will end up with serious trouble and extreme high
penalties to pay if you actually use it for spamming.

I will not send you a copy of the solution but it is based on the use
of call files pointing to local channels/extensions where the Asterisk
magic is combined in a working (and I think clever) way. The CDR isn't
perfect but disable and enable CDR at the proper points in the dial
plan and clever use of the USERFIELD variable will result in useable
data for billing the users. The CDR shows that most callees, listen to
the message until it ends and yes, sometime there are complaints about
the use but that is very rare.

About the scheduling of the calls to make. It is not Asterisk that
limits you. Far before reaching the limits of Asterisk it will be the
bandwidth available and the SIP trunk provider that normally doesn't
allow an endless number of concurrent calls. When I started this I was
working for a Norwegian company offering the dial tone on the internet
and I had a server almost directly connected to the backbone of
internet with more or less endless bandwidth.  I did some stress
testing of a call center solution  and 80 concurrent calls wasn't a
problem and my guess is that you can far beyond 80 calls. It is wise
to move the call files one after the other or one batch after the
other. Moving large numbers  of call files into /var/spool/asterisk/
outgoing might sometimes result in unexpected and not intended
results. There are other scenarios but this was my choice.

10.000 calls will take some time but with a 30 seconds message, 20
concurrent calls and 10 seconds average to dial after around 5,5 hours
the last phone call will be dialed. If the message is just 15 seconds
it will take around 3,5 hours. If you want to deliver in short time,
like 10 minutes, you really have to scale up to 420 concurrent calls
which doesn't sound doable unless you have real serious budgets. If
you put everything in place at your side you will probably run into
constraints of the SIP provider and the interconnection to the pstn.

btw:
Asterisk has the potential to build lots of evil features and lots of
standard features can be used in an evil way. Personally I think it is
kind of strange that, if a question is asked, one has to explain why
the answer is not mend for evil use. We don't have to help someone out
and we can refuse because of lots of reasons: no time, not an
interesting question, not a single sign of any effort by the one
asking the question, not willing to give something away that costs
lots of time and energy, the feeling that it will be used in an evil
way etc. etc. I think the tone and the content of this discussion
harms the Asterisk community as a whole.

with friendly regards,

Erik de Wild
Tripple-o: your asterisk migration partner
the Netherlands