[asterisk-users] Still on spandsp/app_fax and T.38

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Feb 6 11:41:26 CST 2010

Hi Vinícius,

Comparing the successful log using FFA and the failing one using
app_fax, I see the following:

In the call using FFA, the far end system sends a V.29/9600bps FAX page,
using T.38, which transfers cleanly, and the call ends.

In the call using app_fax/spandsp, the SIP has a couple of key
difference. Asterisk incorrectly adds

T38FaxTranscodingMMR
T38FaxTranscodingJBIG

to the SDP. I don't know if that might be confusing the far end. The
T.38 exchange starts in a very similar way to the FFA call, up to the
middle of the TCF data. This should be all zeros, but half way through
the far end suddenly starts sending rubbish.

Spandsp correctly rejects this.

The other system sends bad training data at V.27ter/4800bps. Spandsp
rejects it.

The other system sends clean training data at V.27ter/2400bps. Spandsp
accepts it.

The other system sends a page at V.27ter/2400bps. Spandsp accepts it.

The only wrongdoing I see is the far end going weird in the training
data, yet this doesn't happen with the FFA call. Whatever makes the far
end fall over must be something fairly subtle. Since the 2 SDP lines I
listed above shouldn't be there, I think they should be removed, and the
test tried again.

Much of the work in developing a robust T.38 implementation is working
around all the crappy implementations out there.

Steve