[asterisk-users] large scale paging

Mark Willis markslists at markwillis.net
Fri Feb 5 19:14:18 CST 2010

On 2010-02-05 16:20, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Feb 2010, Mark Willis wrote:
>
> - My limited math capabilities suggest 41 Mbps of RTP traffic, which
> seems like a lot, plus asterisk would be taking a single input stream
> and exploding it out to 500 endpoints.
>
> How did you get that number?  Even with ulaw @ 64Kbps you theoretically
> get 32Mbps.  If you used G.729 you would cut that down to 4 or 5Mbps.
> Totally oversimplified, but that seems a lot more doable.

UDP & ethernet overhead. I used 87kbps. This site says something
similar, although they get there a different way:
   http://site.asteriskguide.com/bandcalc/bandcalc.php

I expect the INVITEs and buffering of 500 streams will be the real
problem, which is why I'm thinking that the people who suggested
multicast are right.

Mark