[asterisk-users] large scale paging

Kristian Kielhofner kristian.kielhofner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 16:17:57 CST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Mark Willis <markslists at markwillis.net> wrote:
> Has anyone done any large scale intercom deployments with Asterisk? I've
> been asked about building a system to one-way page 500 phones
> simultaneously from a single server.
>
> My concerns are:
>
> - My limited math capabilities suggest 41 Mbps of RTP traffic, which
> seems like a lot, plus asterisk would be taking a single input stream
> and exploding it out to 500 endpoints.
> - There are 500 near-simultaneous INVITEs being sent. Can the SIP
> channel handle that?
>
> Any suggestions or war stories are appreciated.
>
> Mark Willis
> Cartama Consulting LLC
> 210 698 5097

  What you really want is multicast RTP, preferably as implemented in
SNOM phones:

https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=11797
http://wiki.snom.com/Settings/multicast_address

  One RTP stream, any number of receivers, no SIP session.

  Doing this with unicast RTP and individual INVITEs would be tough.
If your system can't do 500 call setups per second (or better) you'll
introduce massive delays in call setup to the recipients, not to
mention serious RTP burden with that many streams.

  I hope you haven't bought phones yet (or bought Snom) ;).

--
Kristian Kielhofner
http://www.astlinux.org