[asterisk-users] Still on spandsp/app_fax and T.38

Vinícius Fontes vinicius at canall.com.br
Fri Feb 5 05:40:29 CST 2010

This message is pointed directly to Steve Underwood. I tought it would not be nice to directly email him with a question that interests a good part of the Asterisk community, so here it is. :)

Steve, remember a few days ago when we discussed about issues on Asterisk 1.6.1.13 and T.38 fax reception? Well I opened an issue on Mantis (https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16756) and turns out it might be spandsp-related.

What happens is, when I use app_fax to receive a fax using T.38, I get very low transmission rates, and about 30% of the faxes are just not transmitted at all. 2400bps is not uncommon. If instead of T.38 I use an analog landline connected to that very same Asterisk box, app_fax works wonderfully well transmitting at full 9600bps. Just to rule out Asterisk's T.38 handling, I noticed that Fax For Asterisk works perfectly with T.38, also on that same box.

I'll be happy to provide you any info that could help solve this issue.

Atenciosamente,

Vinícius Fontes
Gerente de Segurança da Informação
Canall Tecnologia em Comunicações