[asterisk-users] Know what would be killer?

Lyle Underwood lyleunderwood at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 00:04:54 CST 2010

I have very little idea of what any of this stuff means. I know very
little about the inner-working of Asterisk, and I sort of joined this
list to glean some knowledge. All I've heard about Mixmonitor is
somebody talking earlier about how it was called after a recording was
completed to handle custom processing of the file or whatever.

Anyway, my idea went like this:

Initially I was just thinking that in a regular two party call you could
store the caller leg of the call as the left channel and the callee leg
of the call as the right channel in a stereo audio file. I looked
around, and FreeSwitch already does this:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Specsheet

Then I was thinking that if Asterisk was doing some software mixing then
you could do some really cool stuff. I know there's transcoding going
on, but I don't know if * does any software mixing at all. But say
you've got four people in a conference call. That is, four separate legs
of the call. * would arbitrarily choose positions for the four legs, for
instance party 1 would be at 100% left 0% right, 2 would be at 75%/25%,
3: 25%/75% 4: 0%/100% of the stereo channels. Obviously this would be
most interesting if it could be accomplished in real time, but it would
still be kinda cool just for recordings. * would dynamically respace the
positions whenever a party joins or leaves the call.

This is basically the same as what this guy is talking about:

http://blog.collins.net.pr/2008/08/diamondware-spatial-conferencing.html

And one of the guys in the comments appears to be mistakenly talking
about 3D sound, not necessarily surround sound rigs, but possible 3D
sound virtualization where the effect of sound coming from different
directions through the anatomy of the head and ears are emulated by
hardware or software to give the effect of sound coming from any
arbitrary direction. Obviously this is sort of overkill and would
probably require wildly expensive hardware or thousands and thousands of
lines of code.

The further you go with this the smaller the apparent gains would be.
The value of the idea is really sort of negligible, but it's kinda cool,
plus FreeSwitch did it!

Lyle