[asterisk-users] Losing local SIP phones when internet goes down?

Nikhil Nair nnair at pobox.com
Thu Feb 4 21:16:38 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Joseph wrote:

> On 02/05/10 02:35, Nikhil Nair wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Joseph wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Does your router runs DHCPD, assigning network addresses on on your LAN?
>>
>> Nope, the DHCPD on the ADSL router is disabled, because I'm running DHCPD
>> on the Debian box.  In any case, the ADSL router is not directly
>> accessible from the local net.
>
> Check your sip phone settings, do they request any information from the Internet, NTP etc.
> If the ADSL router is down can you ping the sip phones?

No problem there: is I mentioned in my original message, if I completely
disable the Asterisk box's eth1 interface, which shuts off access to the
router as well as to the rest of the internet, the two SIP phones continue
to work with no trouble at all, and respond to manual pings properly.

With eth1 up but the ADSL router disabled, the two SIP phones still
respond properly to manual pings, which is why I'm puzzled why Asterisk is
reporting that they are unreachable.

I originally wondered if this could be DNS related - but disabling eth1
also cuts off the name server, so if it was that, I would have expected
that to stop the SIP phones from working.

Still about as clear as mud...

Nikhil.