[asterisk-users] Intel Atom based Asterisk server?

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Feb 3 03:24:27 CST 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Remco Barendse wrote:

> I currently have some Asterisk home servers on general pc hardware as well
> as a mission critical server asterisk pbx running on a Dell 2850
>
> To reduce noise and power consumption i would like to migrate them all to
> an Intel Atom based solution, showstoppers so far were single NIC and
> single PCI slot motherboards. I found that Supermicro makes a Dual NIC
> board with one PCI slot and 2 PCI-Express slots (X7SLA-L)
>
> Has anyone tried running Asterisk + CentOS 5 on this (or any other)
> Atom board? Is the Atom platform able to handle the load of all the
> interrupts a TE110P or TDM400P card will generate ?
>
> I am aware about other solutions but i do use the servers for some other
> tasks therefore don't want to move to a dedicated pbx box based on Soekris
> or the likes.

I started on a 500Mhz VIA chip with TDM400 card and that coped (still
does) very well with the call load of 12 people and 3 analogue lines... So
anything bigger is not going to have any issues.

I also have several other Atom based servers - Asterisk and otherwise.
Beware the cheap (fast!) little fans on them though - every single one has
failled on me so-far. (And this includes ones in clean air AC server room
environments)

Gordon