[asterisk-users] codec conversion

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Feb 2 15:13:16 CST 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, wassim darwich wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,ill give you my situation, iam using my asterisk
> box as a switch ,so my client is sending me ulaw and my voip
> provider only accept g723 ,So what i have to do is to receive g711 codec
> and convert them to g723 at asterisk ,i tried this before but i saw the
> cpu usage is overloaded when doing conversion ,Iam using asterisk 1.4.22
> ,So what do you advice me.

Get your client to switch to g723 or your provider to switch to ulaw. If
that is not possible, get more CPU resources:

1) Eliminate any unrelated processes (X, Apache, MySQL, Tetris). Make sure
Asterisk is running with elevated priority.

2) If your other processes (AGIs?) are written in scripting languages
(Perl, PHP), re-code them in compiled languages (C).

3) Use more powerful processors (faster clock, more cores, more
processors).

4) Split the load across multiple hosts. This has the added advantage of
not putting all your eggs in one basket -- you can take a host out of
service for maintenance or upgrades.

5) If you are swapping, more RAM may help.

--
Thanks in advance,