[asterisk-users] Codec coversion

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Feb 2 12:48:25 CST 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, wassim darwich wrote:

> Is there any software or hadware for codec conversion on asterisk ,any
> suggestion will be appreciated.

Your question is not specific enough for a specific answer.

If you are looking for a command line utility that will transcode a file
from one codec (wav) to another codec (ulaw), sox would be my preference.

Newer versions of Asterisk (I still use 1.2) have an Asterisk command line
command that will transcode a file. This strikes me like using a sledge
hammer to drive a tack. Also, I'd hate to have to explain to my boss that
a bug in my "transcode a file" script took out the PBX.

If you are asking if Asterisk can transcode between 2 legs of a call --
yes. That's what all those codec_*.so files are for. If you have a codec
file for each leg, Asterisk will do the magic in between.

--
Thanks in advance,