[asterisk-users] load balance with 2 wan connections

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sat Dec 25 18:58:24 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM, dave george <dgeorge at teletoneinc.com> wrote:
> Need some advise or paid help on running asterisk on two WAN connection.  I
> need load balancing and failover support.
>
> WAN: 1 DSL + 1 Cable ISP.

There are _many_ issues. First outgoing and incoming traffic is
completely different for what you want to do.

Second SIP is hard enough to NAT and route with a single IP let alone
2 or more and probably dynamic!

Third, load balancing/fail-over is not a simple matter even doing by
hand with Linux or BSD, there will still be issues with static routing
and such. There are some cheap hw that may claim it does, but most
probably it will not be meant for VoIP, SIP or IAX.

Depending on your budget and needs, if you need reliability and high
bandwidth, probably a better solution is to host your main pbx in a
reliable server on a fixed and public IP and then route the calls to a
local Asterisk using IAX and even SIP.  If local bandwidth is limited
IAX is a better bet. By having a public box routing calls to local
box(es) on your private LAN, you could load balance with multiple
local Asterisk servers (easy balance by dialplan, for example). To
save on hardware, you could use virtualization or FreeBSD Jails for
example. Dunno how the telephony hw works with virtualization or jails
(yet, thoug I do have a single Asterisk running on a FBSD jail).

Good luck,
Alejandro Imass