[asterisk-users] Siemens OpenStage phones and Asterisk

klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Dec 22 20:15:05 UTC 2010

Hi!

> Any recent experience to share when using OpenStage phones in SIP mode
> and Asterisk ?

I found these phones not to be very comfortable to use, even though they do
look interesting and the hardware is well done. If I remember well you can run your on JAVA
(and/or XML) applications on it - loading it the first time takes a while, though.

> What about provisionning (and localization) ?

Provisioning is certainly a strong feature of those phones, but it is also complex. Look at the
Asterisk solution "Gemeinschaft" if you are interested in a PBX product that has attacked
this.

> BLF ?

Working but limited (during my short test I think I didn't get pickup-with-BLF-button working).
It is very well possible that with a newer firmware this was addressed. See also:

http://wiki.siemens-
enterprise.com/index.php/Asterisk_Feature_Busy_Lamp_Field_%28BLF%29

> Audio quality ?

Good or very good.

See:
http://wiki.siemens-enterprise.com/index.php/OpenStage_and_Asterisk
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Siemens+Phones

P.S.: Last time I checked the firmware was not easily available from Siemens.