[asterisk-users] Maximum E1 Ports on Asterisk ?

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 12:09:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Zoel Hairi - Yahoo
<zoelhairi at yahoo.co.id> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Just a little over thought. Sorry if someone already asked about this
> before.
>

> Is it possible to put all 16 Ports of E1 in One Asterisk Server ?
>

> And if it’s not possible is there any suggestion or alternative for me to
> use more than 320 lines of outgoing calls on One Asterisk Server ?
>

> Thanks
>

> ZH

Zoel

It is possible to do what you are asking. In general the issue is
raised about having "all your eggs in one basket" where one server or
hardware failure can drop all of your lines for a period of time.
External solutions like Xorcom and Redfone are great ways of
abstraction.  The concurrent call load on a server relies on the work
to be done on each call.  If you are using multiple codecs and
recording the calls in another file format with other complex dialplan
or AGI scripts then one server may not handle the calls well.  If
everything is ALAW and just dialing though then this would not be a
problem for one server.  If you search the list for "sizing"
"concurrent" and "load" you will find more information.  One very nice
thing is that testing is very easy with or without the E1 hardware,
try running the TDMoE channels between two servers and run a SIPp or
other test to see the issues in a lab.

~~~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com ~~~