[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 produces *many* zombie processes on Debian.

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Tue Dec 21 18:45:36 UTC 2010

> Am 20.12.2010 21:39, schrieb Ernie Dunbar:
>> We have an issue with our Asterisk install where Asterisk produces many
>> Zombie processes (on the order of several hundred per minute) until
>> either
>> the Asterisk server is restarted (and the zombies die a natural death),
>> or
>> the kernel runs out of PID space (happens within hours) and brings the
>> system to a halt.
>>
>> This problem only happens when the server is under some non-trivial
>> load.
>> We were testing this server with 8 SCCP phones, making up to five
>> simultaneous calls through the DAHDI interface (a Digium Wildcard
>> TE410P/TE405P (1st Gen)). Once our customers (nearly all SIP clients)
>> start logging on and we get around 7 or 8 simultaneous DAHDI calls,
>> Asterisk starts producing zombie processes at a high rate.
>>
>> We are using the following software:
>>
>> Debian Lenny 5.0
>> Asterisk 1.6.2.15
>> `dahdi show version`: DAHDI Version: 2.4.0 Echo Canceller: MG2
>> Libpri 1.4.11.4
>>
>> A2Billing is also installed on this server, if that matters at all.
>>
>> Any help with this issue, including help in troubleshooting the cause,
>> is
>> highly appreciated.
>
> What does /var/log/asterisk/messages say? And /var/log/syslog?

Not much. In /var/log/asterisk/messages here's a lot of lines like this:

[Dec 17 19:10:13] NOTICE[25518] chan_sip.c: Registration from
'<sip:XXXXX at voip.lightspeed.ca>' failed for 'XX.XXX.X.XXX' - No matching
peer found

And /var/log/syslog has all the normal output from a2billing.php and
making calls complete and such.

The other funny thing is that except for the massive number of zombie
processes, calls are being made and completed just fine. Even voice
quality is quite high.