[asterisk-users] What to check for when there are sound interference using SIP channels only? standard debug methods?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:08:28 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

I ocassionally hear echo, static, and garbled voice when calling extension
to extension between two office (different geographic locations connected
using OpenVPN - 1 with DSL and other with T1 - 1500 KM apart). I am guessing
it's a bandwidth or jitter issue that is giving me faint problem in playback
of prompts when I call in to an echo() test. However, to prove my theory I
need to gather some sample of data, network stats, and sound samples that
correspond to the network status.

Can you please explain the methods and tools used to do this and please show
me the simple easy ways rather than the complex detailed ways as I would
rather spend really little time on this.

If you are going to mention things like wire-shark, I would appreciate it if
you dig your notes and send me sample commands and detailed instructions of
how packets can be obtained and analyzed.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.