[asterisk-users] Video codecs: H263 & H264

Alex Saavedra alex at masterline-logistics.com
Mon Dec 13 15:51:36 UTC 2010

Jonas,

Sorry for the late response. In fact I don't rely on Asterisk settings for
video codecs, I rather prefer controlling these in specific devices. The
reason being that I experienced video codecs priorities were not always
respected by client devices. What's even funnier, for GXV3140, if I leave
H264 only, I can still receive calls using H263+. Thus I guess the answer to
your question is yes. It seems like both Asterisk and those devices are only
applying pass-through strategy for video traffic.

When using softpones (Linphone) I can enable H264, H263+ and H263. The
preferred codec seems to be used according to this order at handshake time.

HTH,

Alex Saavedra