[asterisk-users] Why does "sip show peers" show my router/gateway address as the client IP address?

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 17:34:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Ryan.
> Siproxd is not installed. I think Siproxd like you said just does the
> reverse meaning if phones are part of pfSense subnet then it connects to
> outside world. But in my case they are coming into Asterisk which is on
> pfSense subnet. I do have a static IP and it's set like:
> externip=34.34.34.34
> localnet=192.168.5.0/255.255.255.0
> Do you use pfSense for this same situation? Can you do a sip show peers and
> let me know if you actually see the outside public IP addresses for the
> clients? Also how is your outbound NAT setup? AON?
> Thanks

Yep I am using pfSense 1.2.3 with a static IP. I have port forwarded
UDP SIP and the UDP RTP port range to the private IP of the Asterisk
box. I have enabled manual outbound nat and configured the static port
option. If you use the automatic outbound nat it will randomize the
ports, which you don't want. My sip.conf looks like yours with the
externip and localnet set. When I do sip show peers I see the external
IP.

Ryan