[asterisk-users] UDP buffer overflows?

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at digium.com
Fri Dec 10 17:21:56 UTC 2010

On 12/10/2010 11:02 AM, Steve Davies wrote:
> On 10 December 2010 16:45, Steve Davies <davies147 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On one of our asterisk systems that is quite busy, we are seeing the
>> following from 'netstat -s':
>>
>> Udp:
>>    17725210 packets received
>>    36547 packets to unknown port received.
>>    44017 packet receive errors
>>    17101174 packets sent
>>    RcvbufErrors: 44017                  <--- this
>>
> [snip]
>>
>>  net.core.rmem_max = 1048575
>>  net.core.wmem_max = 1048575
>>  net.core.rmem_default = 1048575
>>  net.core.wmem_default = 1048575
>>  net.core.optmem_max = 1048575
>>  net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 10000
>>

> Additional question - Do I need to restart Asterisk for these settings
> to apply to SIP? I have not done so yet, and further reading suggests
> that this is a per-process buffer and may be assigned when the
> listener is created.

I had to double check myself in the kernel sources (in
net/core/sock.c:sock_init_data), but yes you will need to recreate the
socket for the rmem_default option to take effect.

I was just about to ask if changing the sysctl changed the frequency
that you see the error counter increment when I saw your follow on.

Cheers,
Shaun

--
Shaun Ruffell