[asterisk-users] Error building network library on OpenSolaris and 1.8.1-rc1

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:52:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Bruce McAlister <
bruce.mcalister at blueface.ie> wrote:

>  Hi RR,
>

> I’ve not tried compiling 1.8.1-rc1 on Solaris yet and I’ve not come across
> this issue as of yet. I did build 1.8.0-rc5 on Solaris 10 without any build
> error’s though. I’m not sure if the code has changed that much between
> 1.8.0-rc5 and 1.8.1-rc1.
>

> I’m no coding guru by anyone’s standards, but I do build a couple
> applications for Solaris. What has made my life a hell-of-a-lot easier is
> JDS-CBE and SFE, check out the following 2 links:
>

> http://dlc.sun.com/osol/jds/downloads/cbe/
>

> http://pkgbuild.sourceforge.net/spec-files-extra/
>

> What the above does is setup a common build environment for building
> applications. The SFE (spec-file-extra) is a framework for create rpm type
> spec files for solaris. Once you have one setup for asterisk then it is just
> a one line command to download and build asterisk. This is what I have been
> using to build asterisk on Solaris 10 for the past 3 years. It keeps the
> environment identical between versions.
>

> Have a look at getting that up and going first and then check out the spec
> file format and create one for your asterisk version you want to compile. My
> spec file is far from perfect at the moment, but it does work for what we
> require at the moment.
>

> Disclaimer: This is a little bit of work to setup and get working
> initially, but once it is setup and working, building subsequent asterisk
> versions and creating the Solaris SRV4 packages is a breeze J
>

> Thanks
>
> Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks so much for that. I don't know what to tell you as to why I'm getting
the error if you didn't. Maybe it's because I'm using OpenSolaris as opposed
to Solaris? That's the only thing I can think of and Tilghman's comment also
kind of hinted at that the Makefile and/or configure or the overall build
process needs to be smarter to tell when the system is being built for
Solaris or OpenSolaris. Also while searching for something else but a
related issue, I found another thread that had talked about successfully
compiling 1.8 beta on Solaris on Sparc. So there's definitely hope. But I
think this might be an OpenSolaris thing as even though I don't have the
sophistication of CBE and Sun Studio etc, I do have the reasonably
convenient VM snapshots to get a clean system whenever I want to and I can
tell you, there was NOTHING on this system other than a fresh OpenSolaris
install, and the gcc-dev package. Hmm

Anyway, let's see if the nice developers at Digium can find some time to put
in a fix for this so the product might become "buildable" over Solaris AND
OpenSolaris and people can then just go with the platform of their choice.

Cheers,
RR