[asterisk-users] How to quickly move on to Dahdi channels when SIP provider fails?

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Dec 8 19:50:48 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 08 December 2010 11:33:10 Bruce B wrote:
> Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate all the input and I am
> sure they work but I thought there would be a much better way to do
> this. Sounds like patching things to me. Why doesn't Asterisk take
> advantage of the qualify values to make sure if the SIP connection is
> up or not? Shouldn't this become a native feature of the PBX rather
> than trying to do work-around?

Yes, you can use qualify values, but that only works if qualify is on.  If
you have a large number of SIP peers, the qualify option adds quite a bit
of extra traffic (if turned on on all of them), which can interfere with
normal call processing.  If the qualify detects that the SIP host is too
lagged or not responding, you will get a DIALSTATUS of CHANUNAVAIL, with
the Dial quickly returning.  There is no method of directly checking this
value from the dialplan, however.

--
Tilghman Lesher