[asterisk-users] [headset/mic] Volume too low + echo in *

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Wed Dec 8 15:14:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:39:44 -0800, Dave Platt <dplatt at radagast.org>
wrote:
>Same headset model, or different headset model?

Different brand/model, but similar as they are both el cheapo,
entry-level headsets. I tried using them on a laptop, and I get
marginally better microphone output, even with its volume cranked all
the way up + automatic gain control enabled.

I guess those on-board soundcards by Realtek aren't as good as a
quality microphones. I'll get a USB headset instead and see how it
goes.

>How quickly after you speak, do you hear the echo?  Is it
>near-instantaneous, or significantly delayed?

Right after the connexion is made between the PC with the headset and
a Siemens IP phone located on the same LAN. Both are using SIP. It's
light, but a bit noticeable. I'll try again with a USB headset and see
if it goes away.

I noticed, something, though: While I only kept G11u on both the XLite
and Siemens, I noticed that sound coming from the Siemens contains
some reverb when running Asterisk (1.4.4) on an Atcom appliance
(www.atcom.cn/IP01.html), while the reverb is gone when running
Asterisk (1.6.2.5) on a regular PC with Ubuntu. I guess codecs sound a
bit different depending on what hardware they're running on.

Thanks much for the education :-)