[asterisk-users] Zaptel / Asterisk on Solaris

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Sat Dec 4 13:17:20 CST 2010

On Saturday 04 December 2010 05:27:26 Bruce McAlister wrote:
> RR Sent:
> > Question for the Digium dev team (if they bother reading emails from
> > lowlifes like me): Are their special
> > optimizations/options/conditions/checks ALREADY in place within the
> > makefile/configure files that detect Solaris and if we want to go
> > really crazy then detect 64-bit Solaris? Do I just fix my library paths
> > with the LDFLAGS and just run configure or should I be doing something
> > more, modifying makefile, makefile.rules, makefile.opts or the
> > configure script itself??
>
> The makefile already has some options specific to Solaris, however, I
> usually edit the makefile to include /usr/sfw which is where the
> standard ssl etc libraries are located on Solaris. The default makefile
> looks for them in /usr/local. If you also want to keep your application
> in the /opt tree then you will need to modify the installation path as
> well. I seem to recall an issue with ncurses or tr or something along
> those lines which made me include /usr/xpg4/bin in the beginning of my
> PATH so that it found the proper tool in one of the scripts. Other than
> that it should build cleanly on Solaris. With regards the 64-bit build,
> I've not tried it yet, but bear in mind that the 64-bit libraries for
> the likes of ogg/vorbis are not there by default in Solaris, most of
> the other standard asterisk library requirements are, you should, in
> theory only have to export <libdir>/64 to link in the 64 bit libraries.
> I've not tried to build a 64-bit version yet so I'm shooting in the
> dark here.

Changes that you need to make to get Asterisk to compile reliably on
Solaris would be welcome reports on the issue tracker.  What we have now
are paths that worked for someone at sometime.  Adding extra include
and library paths should not cause problems, but what really should happen
is that the configure script should be detecting the right paths and
automatically adding them to the Makefile variables.

Our standard build script for Solaris (1.8 and trunk only) does not alter
the source at all, but does set PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ensure that
certain values are included, and it does compile and run (and pass) our
unit tests.

> > Wonder why no one responds to emails related to Solaris on
> > Asterisk...even a search throughout the forum on the Digium website,
> > hardly anything comes up regarding Solaris :(
>
> I think historically the dev's have not had access to a standard Solaris
> box for dev/testing, it has mainly been on OpenSolaris, which as you
> have found out, is, in some cases, different, in the details, to the
> standard Solaris operating system. However, in saying that, they do
> have access to Solaris build environments now, and are making plans to
> include it in the development cycle of the application. Give it time
> man, and try to help the other guys/gals from your own experience, and
> we should eventually get there in the end :) --

Our take on it is that as Linux is what most people run Asterisk on, it is
our primary concern, but additional platforms, such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
Mac OS X, and Solaris, as long as they have available relatively recent
versions of gcc and GNU make, are welcome additions.  We won't ever
consciously break platforms, but the addition of build machines (such as
what Bruce McAlister and his team at Blueface have provided with regard
to Solaris) help us to ensure that if the build breaks, we have immediate
notification and a machine to test fixes against.

--
Tilghman Lesher