[asterisk-users] alarm POTS lines

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Dec 4 09:55:35 CST 2010

jon pounder wrote:
> On 12/04/2010 03:01 AM, Tammy A Wisdom wrote:
>
>> You all do know that this is something you could be sued for since this is 'life safety equipment' ?  I've heard from multiple sources that if it isn't against the nfpa that it will be very soon
>> Ask yourself if you want to be subject to a lawsuit if someones house is robbed, someone dies, house/business burns down and the alarm panel is unable to communicate?  Ask your insurance rep if they will cover you doing this type of voip stuff and they'll most likely tell you not too. Bottom line is this is NOT a smart thing to put on voip.
>> Tammy
>>
>> Tammy A Wisdom
>> Summit Open Source Development Group
>>

> nfpa only applies where nfpa is actually a requirement, ANYTHING anyone
> does that is not required (residential fire and burglar alarm) is better
> than the alternative of nothing at all. Calling yourself a ulc certified
> monitoring center or something like that is a no no if you don't meet
> those requirements, but selling a service as what it is, is perfectly
> fine, if you are not guaranteeing something you can't provide you are in
> the clear.

You want to bet your business and liability insurance on that position?

Anyone considering this direction had better run it by their business
insurance risk management department, and a good lawyer versed in laws
involved in the state(s) involved.
> All that aside things are moving to direct tcp/ip communication, using
> voip to talk to antiquated monitoring equipment is just an interim fix
> as the consumer end technology is moving faster than the central station
> technology. The argument voip is unreliable compared to pots really is
> not true if everything is setup properly. tcp/ip and anything that lives
> on top of that protocol like voip etc., has much more flexible routing
> and failover than any pots circuit could ever hope to have, and can use
> multiple independant paths for communication, and the connection can be
> held open like a dvacs circuit for continuous monitoring without all the
> overhead of individual copper pairs and multiplexers at the monitoring
> center.  Its hard for the manufacturers of this equipment to stomach
> though that a pc with a network card is actually more functional than a
> multimillion dollar piece of hardware they used to sell, so change is
> slow coming.

VOIP is NOT yet as reliable as a POTS circuit. The degree of
unreliability depends on the providers involved, but network managers
have yet to put into place It certainly is getting somewhat better, and
one can skew the statistics with the volume of data involved, but when
life safety issues are involved, it isn't there yet. Even Mobile ( radio
) backup is considered secondary for reporting, and then not for
fire/sprinkler systems.

the safest circuit for monitoring, though seldom available anymore, is
the supervised loop to the monitoring station.
A PC with it's inherent frailty is way down the list in terms of reliability

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot