[asterisk-users] Push central phone book to phones

Jonathan Thurman jonathan at thurmantech.com
Thu Dec 2 12:00:53 CST 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Jonas Kellens wrote:
>
>> I have Snom, Cisco, Grandstream & YeaLink phones.
>>
>> Is there a way to push a centralized phone book to these phones ??
>
> Grandstreams support an XML format phone book download - it would susprice
> me if the others didn't, but I've no 1st hand experience of them.

Cisco (at least the 79x1 series) phones also have a special XML format
for the directory.  I have implemented it before as an interactive web
app the phones query.  No information is stored on the phone itself.

> Well, that's what I do anyway. It's better than mucking about downloading
> phone books to all the different types of phones.

Real-time query (Live XML/LDAP) back-ended on a database are really
the best way to go for Corporate style directory.  Unfortunately, you
have to get a license from Polycom for LDAP, and static XML files get
out of sync way to fast...

-Jonathan