[asterisk-users] + on Caller-ID

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Thu Dec 2 11:28:35 CST 2010

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010, Matt wrote:

> I've had this discussion in the office and with some vendors, but no
> one has a solid answer, hopefully someone here does.
>
> What is the proper way to format a caller-ID here in the U.S.?
>
> Is it:
> +15705551212

Yes.

> or is it
> +5705551212

That would represent a call to Columbia :)

> I've always seen it +15705551212, but as I understand it the country
> code for the US is 011, which to me would indicate you put
> 011-570-555-1212 as the callback number.

The country code for the US is "1" (actually all the NANPA countries, so
Canada, Mexico, and much of the Caribbean).  "011" is what you dial from
within NANPA countries to prefix a country code, so to dial Coumbia,
for example, you would dial 011 57 xxxxxxxx...