[asterisk-users] IAX2 - Separate Signaling and Media?

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Wed Aug 25 01:37:49 CDT 2010

On 24/08/10 11:45 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 08/23/2010 10:30 PM, Tim Nelson wrote:
>> ----- "Tim Nelson"<tnelson at rockbochs.com>  wrote:
>>> Greetings all-
>>>
>>> Here's an odd question. Supposedly, IAX2 now has the ability to
>>> operate with signaling and media in separate streams, very much like
>>> SIP. I've read about this feature here[1] and there[2], but I have yet
>>> to see how to actually implement or test it. There are no options in
>>> the iax.conf sample configs with Asterisk.
>>>
>>> All suggestions welcome, except those telling me to jump off a bridge
>>> because separated signaling and media makes IAX pointless when
>>> compared to SIP. :-)
>>>

>> Ugh, and let me specify references as originally intended:
>>
>> [1] http://tools.ietf.org/search/rfc5456
>> [2] http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/IAX+versus+SIP
>
> I believe you are misinterpreting the RFC. IAX2 cannot use a separate
> signaling and media stream to setup a call, but it *can* optimize a
> media stream for a bridged call so that the media does not have to make
> as many hops as the signaling does. The media still moves on the same
> ports as the signaling packets, using the same protocol.

And in that case the options are:

transfer=no             ; Disable IAX native transfer
;transfer=mediaonly     ; When doing IAX native transfers, transfer
                         ; only media stream

Well, it depends on what version.  The above is from a 1.4 system -
earlier systems had notransfer=yes, but not the mediaonly option.

--
Cheers,

Matt Riddell