[asterisk-users] Should I move to 1.6 or 1.8, or stay with 1.4?

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 11:56:45 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 24 Aug 2010, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:
> I am planning a migration to virtual machines, and was considering with it
> to move from 1.4 to one of the later versions. My and my clients' 1.4
> setups have been rock solid and I don't want to put myself into any
> unnecessary trouble. Those of you with solid experience with all these
> versions, what would you suggest? What new and exciting enhancements would
> newer versions bring and how about their stability and reliability? Or
> should I stay with 1.4?

I would suggest changing only one thing at a time.

If you only change one thing, and it doesn't work anymore, then you can be
fairly confident that whatever you just changed broke it.

If you change two things, and it doesn't work anymore, you don't know which of
the things you changed broke it.

(And yes, this is a rule I break all the time.  And I curse myself for it.)

Move your whole 1.4 setup untouched to a Virtual Machine, and see if still
works.  If so, *then* think about upgrading Asterisk  (to 1.6, unless you're
feeling very brave or need some feature that isn't present in 1.6).

--
AJS