[asterisk-users] Opensource Speech recognition for Asterisk

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Sun Aug 22 16:22:31 CDT 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, David Backeberg wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM, Duncan Turnbull <duncan at e-simple.co.nz> wrote:
>> Voice recognition is a pain for people with accents and poor lines and when
>
> Everybody has an accent. Some people live in a place where the people
> they talk to sound like themselves, so they forget that fact.
>
> Of course, this is a huge problem if you, for example, want to have an
> English language voice recognition system that works across the
> continental United States. Even for people who speak 'correct' or
> 'common' English for their region, these systems aren't that great in
> my experience. The bigger of a vocabulary you have, the worse trouble
> you'll have, because these systems, again, in my experience, only know
> synonyms or alternate regional words for the same thing if they were
> programmed by somebody who thought of the synonyms / alternate words /
> alternate legitimate pronunciations.
>
> Anybody with an imagination can think of plenty examples, for example,
> from the United States:
> * soda / pop / soft drink / beverage / drink / Coke / other trademarked names

Comes down to the designer - most of the systems I am used to using (like
American Airlines system, which is quite good IMO) are focused on the
basics - digits 0-9, yes/no, "agent", etc.  I don't think it is overly
difficult to make this work even with varying accents, though UK folks
used to saying "double naught" might have issues :)