[asterisk-users] asterisk + openBTS

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Aug 20 10:32:22 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Tim Panton <thp at westhawk.co.uk> wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2010, at 20:59, Randy R wrote:

>>> This island runs it's GSM network on OpenBTS: http://www.niueisland.com/
>>>
>>> This was the place he presented about.
>>>
>>> Read the blog here: http://openbts.sourceforge.net/NiuePilot/
>>
>> and more about the installation here:
>>
>> http://vuc.me/2010/island-telephony-adventure/
>>

> I was part of the team that went to Niue to install OpenBTS,
> I'm happy to answer questions if you have them,
> although I'm not the radio guy - asterisk is more my thing :-)
>
> Tim.
>
> Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
> www.westhawk.co.uk

In all reality, Asterisk could be substituted with any other platform.

All the magic happens in the USRP, OpenBTS, and the cellular phones.
Asterisk is merely handling the routing and voice, same as it ever
was.  It is just the top of the stack.

I have two USRPs and a handful of daughter boards, and yes I have two
flex 800s that have been physically altered so they can also be flex
1800s with a simple command line.  These are the boards you want for
GSM (Cellular).

There is also a project to be able to listen into phone calls (thanks
to the French making encryption so weak) besides a ton of other
applications that can be dreamed up.

You can do passive radar, track people that have cell phones powered
on,  RFID (Free tolls anyone?), WiFi, heck, you can even kill people
with certain types of pacemakers.

While OpenBTS is cool and is on topic with Asterisk, read up on
GNURadio and all the projects and applications you can come up with.
It is really cool technology.

Start here http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/show/gnuradio but you
can easily find things like this
http://tech.mit.edu/V128/N30/subway/Defcon_Presentation.pdf or come up
with your own with a bit of imagination and skillz.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro