[asterisk-users] Asterisk on AMD

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sat Aug 14 13:08:05 CDT 2010

On 08/14/2010 12:59 PM, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> Hi!
>
>>> By a mixed environment I mean some Asterisk servers running on AMD and
>>> some running on Intel
>>
>> If it was possible for that to matter, then the software would be very
>> poorly written indeed. As another poster said, the only way that would
>> have any effect is if you compiled binaries specifically for one family of
>> processors and used them on the other. As far as how the software
>> operates, by definition the processor type/family does not matter at all.
>
> Quite some time ago there was a difference in how the GSM codec was
> handled on AMD K6/Athlon systems, but that did not matter greatly, and it
> was just a tiny little optimisation setting in the Makefile so gain a
> little more speed.

But it did not produce different output nor accept different input; it
wouldn't have mattered if an Intel-based system was talking to an
AMD-based system, because the data *outside* the system was the same.
That was my point. There are many CPU family-specific optimizations that
can be used for various parts of Asterisk, but in the end they don't
affect how Asterisk operates, only the speed at which it does so.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com