[asterisk-users] asterisk on Vmware

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed Aug 11 08:46:24 CDT 2010

On 10-08-11 04:36 AM, Tino wrote:
> Is it possible to install Asterisk on Vmware(centos) from source. Is
> there any difference or disadvantage for this compared to asterisk
> running on physical machine.

As mentioned you won't have access to DAHDI hardware as VMware won't permit
access to it. However, I have run VMware Server 2 on several machines and
successfully used Asterisk inside of it, at least for testing purposes. For a
while I was running my business PBX in a virtual machine until I ran into some
issues, but it ended up not being related to VMware and I never switched it back
-- however I have low load (i.e. 2-3 channels at most). Some tips:

* If you need hardware access and you can install into the host system (like
when you run VMware Server), you could install a barebones Asterisk installation
along with DAHDI and use that as the access from your virtual machines to the
hardware over SIP (i.e. create a connection from the virtual machine Asterisk to
the host system Asterisk via SIP). This way you could have multiple phone
numbers and direct each number from the host system to one of several virtual
machines.

* As of Asterisk 1.6.2, you have additional timing options such as
res_timing_pthread and res_timing_timerfd (kernel version dependent). The
res_timing_pthread had several issues in the past, but should have been fixed
for the most part as of Asterisk version 1.6.2.10 (don't use that timing module
before that version).

* Giving the virtual machine more RAM than necessary can actually make the
system perform worse rather than better in my experience.

* Perform load testing with SIPp to make sure you system can handle what you
expect to put on it. I typically do this by loading up the system with SIPp and
having an extension (my phone) dialed into the Milliwatt() application to listen
for when audio quality starts to die, and note that as the max load / max calls
/ max memory for the system.

* Good luck! :)

Leif Madsen.