[asterisk-users] asterisk on Vmware

Wed Aug 11 06:23:21 CDT 2010

Are you talking about VMware Server, ESX/ESXi, or one of their other products? The only VMWare product that I can even conceive might work is ESX/ESXi.

Others have already pointed out that in VMware, you won't get direct access to the hardware. VMWare does have some limited capability to directly interface with hardware, but I agree with everybody else that it is likely not going to work.

The second problem with VMWare in a virtual machine is timing. On a physical machine, Asterisk and Linux have almost complete control over the timing. That's important for voice data streams that need to send data at precise points in time. In a virtual machine, I would expect poorer sound quality due to dropouts.