[asterisk-users] How does deny/permit work in sip.conf?

Frank Church voipfc at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 6 16:16:48 CDT 2010

On 6 August 2010 16:21, Bruce Ferrell <bferrell at baywinds.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 07:45 AM, Frank Church wrote:
>> I have been seeing some attempts to register devices on my Asterisk
>> and I want to reconfigure it so that devices will be registered only
>> if they are from the correct address, ie 192.168.1.8/255.255.255.255.
>>
>> I thought using a config like
>>
>> deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
>> permit=192.168.1.8/255.255.255.255
>>
>> but it is not working the way I thought?
>>
>> Does that need a host=static.ip entry to work, rather than the
>> deny/permit option?
>>
>> Does using a host=dynamic setting override any deny/permit and
>> port=5060 options?
>>
>> Does being a peer or a user make a difference here?
>>

> I had this same problem once.  host=<ip address>  or host=dynamic if you
> want to use permit/deny.  Permit/deny and host=dynamic allows a sip peer
> or user to have a range of addresses.
>
> --

Does permit/deny  have any influence on registration, or is it related
to the destinations it can call to or receive call from?

How do you stop an asterisk server from accepting registrations when
the IP is outside a subnet even if the username and secret are
correct?

When host=dynamic registrations are accepted even if the pemit IP is
different from the registered device's IP address. Does permit/deny
work on a  single IP address eg 192.168.4.111/255.255.255.2555

The same seems to apply in the [general] section, with contactdeny and
contacnt permit

When I set

contactdeny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
contactpermit=192.168.4.111/255.255.255.255

Devices whose IP is not 192.168.4.111 are able to register.