[asterisk-users] How does deny/permit work in sip.conf?

Frank Church voipfc at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 6 09:45:43 CDT 2010

I have been seeing some attempts to register devices on my Asterisk
and I want to reconfigure it so that devices will be registered only
if they are from the correct address, ie 192.168.1.8/255.255.255.255.

I thought using a config like

deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
permit=192.168.1.8/255.255.255.255

but it is not working the way I thought?

Does that need a host=static.ip entry to work, rather than the
deny/permit option?

Does using a host=dynamic setting override any deny/permit and
port=5060 options?

Does being a peer or a user make a difference here?