[asterisk-users] Codec Conversion

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri Aug 6 07:40:44 CDT 2010

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 03:43:33 -0500 (CDT), Jeff Brower wrote:

<snip>

>> MELPe is patent encumbered,
>
>Not if used for govt/defense purposes.  For commercial-only purposes, TI will waive royalty fees if their chip is used
>in the product.  It would have been nice if Digium had considered the many advantages of using a DSP pioneer such as
>TI before putting a Mindspeed chip on their TC400B card.
>
>> so there is still a place for LPC10 [...]
>
>I haven't seen an LPC10 implementation with MOS higher than 2.5.  Due to its age and expiration of patents, LPC10
>might be a basis for a 2400 bps open source codec.  But enormous improvement would be needed to come close to MELPe
>performance.
>
>-Jeff

I wonder where David Rowe's newer CODEC2 fits into this discussion?
(http://codec2.org/)

Clearly it's not implemented anywhere yet, but it may prove yet useful
in very bandwidth constrained applications. Oh yes. It's completely
open source and should not be subject to patent issues.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com