[asterisk-users] Asterisk and RAID

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Aug 4 11:19:42 CDT 2010

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:

> Dear all, I'll install Asterisk 1.4 in an IBM xSeries 226 server with
> four HD's available, using CentOS as the OS.
>
> What's the best RAID type recommendation ??? RAID 1 or RAID 5 ???

RAID-10

If your controller supports it. If not, do it with Linux software RAID.

RAID-1 will give you 1 x the drive size with data being written to all 4
disks at the same time, but being read from one - very redundant, but slow
writes.

RAID-5 will give you 3x your single disk capacity with one disk acting as
a parity drive - reasonable performance, but one day you'll lose a drive
and then find that a 2nd drive has sector errors when reconstructing the
array and it's then game over - unless it's Linux software RAID and you're
a guru - which you're not as you'd not be posting this question here.

RAID-6 will give you 2x your drive capacity with the ability to survive 2
drive failling - hopefully you can replace one and not have bad sectors on
another.

RAID-10 will also give you 2x your drive capacity but has more performance
than RAID-6.

Not really an asterisk question though...

Gordon