[asterisk-users] Dial plan question.

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Wed Apr 28 13:48:30 CDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Aditya Kumar <adityakumar345 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> pl help me with this basic question.
>
> I have a users (soft clients) with usernames having Alphabetics.
> I want to use Asterisk as my server.
>
> How should I have the dial plans as there are no numbers involved .
> so How can I make the configuration to work  ( with numbers I can get this
> done using extensions.conf)
>
> my expected result is :
> alice at pbx.com  should be able to call bob at pbx.com
> where pbx.com is astersik.
>
> Can you pl let me know how I can achieve this?

You would need to setup each user in sip.conf like so:

[alice]
type=friend
context=alpha-names
fromuser=alice
secret=password
domain=pbx.com

[bob]
type=friend
context=alpha-names
fromuser=bob
secret=password
domain=pbx.com

etc etc..

Then in your extensions.conf, you would setup:

[alpha-names]
; Dial by name
exten => alice,1,Verbose(Calling alice)
exten => alice,n,Dial(SIP/alice,20)
exten => alice,n,Hangup()

exten => bob,1,Verbose(Calling bob)
exten => bob,n,Dial(SIP/bob,20)
exten => bob,n,Hangup()

etc etc.  You could also use pattern matching in your extensions.conf like
this:

[alpha-names]
;Dial by name, pattern matching
exten => _.,1,Verbose(Calling ${EXTEN})
exten => _.,n,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},20)
exten => _.,n,Hangup()

except that's going to catch everything, including the built-in 'h', 'i',
and 't' extensions (you can look these up on voip-info.org for more info on
those).

Configure each of your softphone clients with the usernames you defined in
your sip.conf (i.e the softphone on Alice's computer would have a username
of alice, password of password, and domain of pbx.com, using the asterisk
server as your registrar / proxy server address, same with Bob's softphone).

Your softphone has to allow alpha dialing from contacts though.  You haven't
mentioned which softphone you're using, if you do that we may be able to
give you specifics for that softphone as well.
--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby